Mission and Purpose
The FIU Alumni Association’s mission is to serve the FIU community by providing lifelong connections to the University. Through fundraising, volunteer opportunities, engaging programs and events, we help enhance FIU’s future by providing the necessary resources to sustain our excellence in academics, research and community service.
Our purpose is to provide opportunities for our community to support FIU’s key strategic initiatives, which includes the revitalization and expansion of financial resources, achieving academic excellence, enhancing research and creative initiatives, and engaging the community of FIU.
Your Alumni Association is Evolving
The FIU Alumni Association is making strategic changes to evolve our alumni programming and become more aligned with the priorities of the university. Effective immediately, all graduates belong to the FIU Alumni Association. We are no longer operating under a membership fees structure. All of our 215,000 alumni will be privy to all the perks and services we offer as an Alumni Association. Read more.
- ANNUAL GIVING: Support from our donors facilitates academic excellence, student-centered learning and the interdisciplinary synergy needed to ensure that FIU remains globally competitive. The best public universities have the strongest private support, and your gift makes FIU even stronger for our students.
- NETWORK DEVELOPMENT: Wherever you live, work, or play, an FIU Alumni Panther Network is nearby! Panther Networks exist to support the growth and advancement of FIU locally, nationally, and internationally.
- CAREER NETWORKING: Enhance your professional network and personal branding with our alumni career development program. Optimize your job search, leverage LinkedIn, and connect with your Panther network through webinars and virtual meet-ups.
- STUDENT & ALUMNI PHILANTHROPY: We provide activities that enhance school spirit both on and off-campus for Panthers everywhere! Through learning and leadership opportunities, events, services and FIU traditions, students can foster a sense of loyalty and pride.
- ADVOCACY: FIU Advocate focuses its efforts on preparing alumni to communicate with decision makers on issues that directly affect the University, and developing a culture of intentionality to build relationships with decision makers, where it counts.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION & LIFELONG LEARNING: Your academic career doesn’t have to end once you enter the workforce. If you are interested in continuing your educational journey, FIU Online & Osher Lifelong Learning Institute make this easily feasible by providing you the opportunity to continue your learning opportunities throughout your life.
- We currently serve a total alumni base of over 215,000 represented in every state and in more than 139 countries around the world.
- The FIU Alumni Association is governed by a 26 volunteer member Board of Directors.
- Some notable alumni are:
- Actor Andy Garcia, one of Hollywood’s most private and guarded leading men…The Godfather: Part III (1990) · The Untouchables (1987) · Ocean’s Twelve (2004) · City Island (2009)
- Actor Danny Pino (former co-star of CBS’s Cold Case and co-star of NBC’s Law & Order, Special Victims Unit)
- Liz Balmaseda, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, former Miami Herald writer and current writer for the Palm Beach Post
- Carlos Arroyo and Raja Bell, former NBA basketball players
- Mike Lowell, former MLB baseball player and World Champ for the Boston Red Sox
- Stephanie Burns, chemist and businesswoman, who served as President and CEO of Dow Corning
- Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Manny Diaz, U.S. Congress members
- T.Y. Hilton and Anthony Gaitor, current NFL Football players
- Dawn Ostroff, former President of CW Network and current President of Conde Nast Entertainment
Points of Pride
- The FIU Alumni Association received a two-year grant from 2012 to 2013 totaling $160,000 from the Knight Foundation to establish an alumni career development program.
- The FIU Alumni Association won the 2013-14 CASE III Grand Award, Alumni Relations ‐ Special Project, Event or Program for the 11th Annual FIU Scholarship Fishing Tournament & Dock Party.
- The FIU Alumni Association won the 2013-14 CASE III Award of Excellence for Social Media Strategy and Execution.
- The FIU Alumni Association received a $4.5 million planned gift from FIU alumnus Raul Chavez and Angela Martinez in support of the Alumni Center Building Fund.
- In 2017, Chad Moss makes largest donation to FIU by an alumnus. Chad’s $10 million dollar gift names the Moss School of Construction, Infrastructure and Sustainability.
Five Important Things You Can Do as an Alumnus or Alumna
- Be a proud panther and wear FIU gear.
- Make plans each year to attend an FIU Athletics event on campus or on the road.
- Help us recruit talented students to attend FIU.
- Hire FIU graduates!
- When the envelope or phone call comes, please give. No matter the size of your gift, your participation is very important and is greatly valued by all of us.